Hi Austin ... I'm going to answer your question as someone who has owned BOTH a CTW-Xmax and a PTW-Max
airsoftghost wrote:Hey guys, my name is Austin.
I've been looking into getting a CTW/PTW style weapon for a while, and now have around $1200 to spend. I was looking at the CTWs, and with the money saved wanted to put an RIS on it, and do whatever internal mods are necessary.
• IMHO you want to invest the MOST money into the parts that are hardest to get/upgrade etc. Spend the most on the base gun, cut corners here and you'll be sorry down the road. As far as choosing between CTW/PTW that's your choice you've got to weigh, price vs. reliability vs.durability.
airsoftghost wrote:I have heard that there are 4 versions of the MX2 CTW. And I've heard from many different people that the version 3 and version 4 are what I should look into getting, as they have fixed many of the problems the older MX2 models had.
• Someone else will ahve to chime in here I stopped keeping track after I bought mine ...
airsoftghost wrote:I've heard horror stories with CTWs, motor failures, ECU failures, cylinder problems, etc. So here are my questions:
1. If I were to get a version 3 or 4, what mods would be needed to make the gun reliable? To make minimize my fear of the gun breaking at large ops.
• Read .. no, SCOUR these forums and read where other CTWs are more likely to break then stock up on spares (O-Rings, Nozzles .. etc.)
• If you're going to a Big OP I would always always ALWAYS bring a backup ... My PTW BROKE IN HALF @ OP:Northern Light this year ... I had to play the last 4 hours with a gas shotgun.
airsoftghost wrote:2.Are the mods just like a PTW? Hop-up mod, ECU waterproofing, and motor rewind?
• Yes, althought he CTW motors are actually known for having better motors. Even with that said, I would clean motor with electronic Parts cleaner (Lectra-Motive) and re lube the bearings (Dan's Banana Lube) every couple of skirmishes.
airsoftghost wrote:3. Where can I purchase a version 3 or version 4 MX2? I know hotspot stopped carrying them.
• EVIKE.com has them on sale for $600 with a 20% off special till 11/23 + $19 shipping it comes to $499 NOTE: CALL THEM FIRST AND PLACE THE ORDER. Insist that they put their hands on the CTW they will be shipping to you. A lot of times they show an item in stock on their website but then call and say it is backordered.
airsoftghost wrote:4. Have the version 3 and higher really fixed all these problems I've been hearing about the CTW?
• Again ... I dunno. Someone else will know better than I would.
airsoftghost wrote:5. For the necessary mods, who can I contact about having them done? What person/shop should I send it to? (Something like Tackleberry over on the PTW forums)
• Claudio @ Hotspot seems to be the go to guy Stateside, Tacklberry is the original PTW guru (be preapred to pay A LOT)
airsoftghost wrote:6. What mags would you recommend? I've seen many brands, MAG, Saber, PTW mags, etc.
• Original CTW or Systema = the best I've used You can put them in Vanaras or Rampo PMAG shells if you want colosr/lighter wieght. The internals are rebuildable/maintainable
• Vanaras = OK ... over time the springs wear out. You could replace them with Systema Springs. The internal case is glued so it is not rebuildable.
• Lancer System = SUCK. The seethrough plastic breaks easily.
• MAG and SABRE brands .. I don;t have experience with either of those.
airsoftghost wrote:7. I've heard that I should and shouldn't use 11.1 lipos in the gun, is it required I use lipos? Or could I just use Systema 9.6V batteries?
• I used an 11.1 3S 2300mAh Lipo the entire time I owned mine
• Systema 9.6 and/or 12V are fine too
airsoftghost wrote:8. Could I use regular AEG 9.6V and 10.8V batteries?
• Yes and Yes
airsoftghost wrote:9. What (if any) problems still exist in the version 3 and 4 models of the CTW?
• I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you an answer
Going back to point #1 if I were in your shoes. I would buy a used Systema PTW. Right now there are quite a few on the market as some players are migrating to PolarStar EPAR systems. I know of one right now a 2009 PTW (non-max) which is selling for $1000
-9.6v Batteries x3
-Unused Vanaras Pmags x4
-Systema metal mags x3
-Magpul hand guard-
-Magpul single point sling attachment
yeah it doesn't have a RIS but you can add that later if you need it. This is owned by a LTJG in the Navy so its been adult owned/maintained since ti was new. Yeah it is not a Max so you're not able to buy a red cylinder but this is set up for any outdoor/indoor arena you could ever want to play in. I'm just sayin'... this is a good value. You'd save a couple hundred (maybe $200) going brand new CTW with brand new accessories)